Canada’s Top 10 Most Stolen Cars in 2010
Have you ever wondered which cars are most frequently stolen in Canada?
According to the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) these are the top 10 stolen cars targeted by thieves in 2010:
1. 2000 Honda Civic SiR 2-door
2. 1999 Honda Civic SiR 2-door
3. 2002 Cadillac Escalade 4-door 4WD
4. 2004 Cadillac Escalade 4-door 4WD
5. 2005 Acura RSX Type S 2-door
6. 1997 Acura Integra 2-door
7. 2000 Audi S4 Quattro 4-door AWD
8. 2003 Hummer H2 4-door AWD
9. 2006 Acura RSX Type S 2-door
10. 2004 Hummer H2 4-door AWD
High value cars are typically targeted by organized crime rings that strip the cars for part, re-sell to unknowing buyers, or export to other countries where there is great demand for vehicles that can handle rough terrain. Joyriding and using cars to commit crimes are other common uses for stolen vehicles.
More auto theft facts:
- 108,172 vehicles were stolen in Canada in 2009, a drop of 15% from 2008 (Source: Statistics Canada)
- In 2009, auto theft cost Canadian insurance company $419 million. Taking into account other costs – such as car insurance deductibles and legal and policing expenses – the total cost of auto theft each year in Canada is close to $1 billion.
According to the IBC, 30 seconds is all it takes for a professional car thief to steal a car…. even without a key.
Here’s what you can do to prevent your car from being stolen:
- Fully roll up car windows, lock the doors and take the key
- Keep the vehicle registration certificate and proof of insurance in a purse or wallet at all times – not in the glove compartment
- Never leave valuable objects or packages in full view. Keep them in the locked trunk of your car.
- Never leave a vehicle running unattended. Approximately 20% of stolen cars have keys in them.
- Always park in a well-lit and busy area.
- At home, park in a garage if available and lock both the garage and car doors.
(For more information, visit IBC’s website at www.ibc.ca and click on “How Cars Measure Up”.)
And remember, if your car gets stolen, car insurance will alleviate the financial pain of replacing your vehicle.
Do you have any questions about car insurance? Would you like to speak to a professional insurance broker about insuring your car?
Contact Habitat Insurance Agencies Ltd at 604-438-5241 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © Habitat Insurance Agencies Ltd. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: This article is designed to provide information for personal use only. Please consult your professional insurance broker for further information. Habitat Insurance Agencies Ltd is not responsible for any legal disputes of this matter.